Less is a pre-processor that extends the support for CSS language. It allows developers to use techniques to make CSS more maintainable and extendable.
- It can freely download and use
- It offers higher-level style syntax, which allows web designers/developers to create advanced CSS
- It easily compiles into standard CSS, before the web browser begins rendering a web page
- Compiled CSS files can be uploaded to the production web server
- Less is a CSS pre-processor and after compilation it generates simple CSS which works across the browser.
- Less is faster and easier.
- Cleaner structure due to the use of Nesting
- Less codes are simple and well organized as compared to CSS
- Less supports cross-browser compatibility
- Modification/Updation can be achieved faster because the use of Less variables
- Less is time saving as compared to CSS
- Coding is faster because the list of operators provided by Less
- Use of Mixins resolves the reusability of code and embed all the properties of a class into another class by simple including the class name as one of its properties.
- you can reuse your whole classes by referencing them in your rule-set
- Less has many mathematical and operational functions, like- darken, lighten
- you can import other LESS files in a LESS file, which may have variables define and then use that variables in imported Less file
- Less has some predefined functions and you can also define your own functions and can use them throughout the code
- Less compiles faster than any other pre-processor of CSS
- Less also supports Lazy Loading feature, i.e. in the file you may define your variables anywhere, like before or after the use of variable.
- So these are the basic advantages of LESS. Now we proceed towards the comparison between LESS and CSS, i.e. why LESS is good as compared to CSS.
As you already gone through the advantages of LESS, so now you may be interested in knowing why LESS is good as compared to CSS. There are some differences which makes LESS good in comparison of CSS.
CSS is a static language whereas LESS is a dynamic language which generates CSS after compilation of code. In CSS you write static code for designing the web page, but in LESS you may define code using variables and after compiling the code that variable values will be parsed and generates into CSS. In CSS, modification may be quite complex, like if we say you need to change a color #000 to #fff in whole CSS file so it may be quite difficult and need to change every where it has used, but in LESS you change a variable value one time, and after compilation that variable value will be changed in whole CSS through out the code where that variable is used.
In CSS you have to define same class many times with different operations but in LESS due to the feature of nesting and mixins you don’t need to define classes many times for different operations. There are lot of redundancy in CSS you may face. CSS lengthen the code styling as compared to LESS. CSS is time consuming as compared to LESS, but yes it is easy to learn and write CSS in comparison of LESS. There is no reusability of code in CSS, and you can not use variables or your own functions like LESS.
And if you are using magento then using of LESS in modules is better idea than to use CSS, because in modules you need to write lot of code for designing. So if you use CSS there you may face some difficulty and it also increases the file size because of code length, but if you use LESS your designing code will be well organised with lesser file size and it also increases the reusability of code.