Active server Pages is the first server-side engine developed by Microsoft for dynamic web pages.Using ASP and ASP.Net we can easily combine script commands,COM Components and HTML Pages.Our dedicated web developers make proper use of ASP to create powerful and interactive web pages and applications.
ASP.NET is a unified web development model integrated with .NET framework, designed to provide services to create dynamic web applications and web services. It is built on the Common Language Runtime (CLR) of the .NET framework and includes those benefits like multi-language interoperability, type safety, garbage collection and inheritance.
These differences include:
1. Usage of compiled code (instead of interpreted code),
2. Event-driven server-side scripting model,
3. State management,
4. Rapid application development using controls and libraries of the .NET framework.
5. Dynamic programming code is placed separately in a file or specially designated tag. This avoids the program code getting modified during runtime.
ASP.NET works with the Internet Information Server (IIS) to deliver the content in response to client requests. While processing the requests, ASP.NET provides access to all .NET classes, custom components and databases, similar to that of a desktop application.
Web forms are the building blocks of application development in ASP.NET. They provide lot of flexibility by allowing controls to be used on a page as objects. These controls can handle events such as Load, Click and Change, similar to those in desktop applications. Other than Web forms, ASP.NET can be used to create XML Web services that can allow building modular, distributed web applications, written in any language.These services are interoperable across variety of platforms and devices.
In addtion, ASP.NET implements state management by sending the information (viewstate) related to state of controls on a web form to the server in a postback request. It provides side-by-side execution applications of multiple denominations allowing them to be installed on the same system with different versions of .NET frameworks. Furthermore, it uses XML support for data storage, configuration and manipulation. However, when it comes to securing its applications, ASP.NET uses the code access security and role based security features of .NET framework and inherent methods of IIS for authenticating user credentials.
The architecture of the.Net framework is based on the following key components :
- Language – A variety of languages exists for .net framework. They are VB.net and C#. These can be used to develop web applications.
- Library - The .NET Framework includes a set of standard class libraries. The most common library used for web applications in .net is the Web library. The web library has all the necessary components used to develop.Net web-based applications.
- Common Language Runtime - The Common Language Infrastructure or CLI is a platform. .Net programs are executed on this platform. The CLR is used for performing key activities. Activities include Exception handling and Garbage collection.
Below are some of the key characteristics of the ASP.Net framework :
- Code Behind Mode – This is the concept of separation of design and code. By making this separation, it becomes easier to maintain the ASP.Net application. The general file type of an ASP.Net file is aspx. Assume we have a web page called MyPage.aspx. There will be another file called MyPage.aspx.cs which would denote the code part of the page. So Visual Studio creates separate files for each web page, one for the design part and the other for the code.
- State Management – ASP.Net has the facility to control state management. HTTP is known as a stateless protocol. Let's take an example of a shopping cart application. Now, when a user decides what he wants to buy from the site, he will press the submit button.
The application needs to remember the items the user choose for the purchase. This is known as remembering the state of an application at a current point in time. HTTP is a stateless protocol. When the user goes to the purchase page, HTTP will not store the information on the cart items. Additional coding needs to be done to ensure that the cart items can be carried forward to the purchase page. Such an implementation can become complex at times. But ASP.Net can do state management on your behalf. So ASP.Net can remember the cart items and pass it over to the purchase page.
- Caching – ASP.Net can implement the concept of Caching. This improve's the performance of the application. By caching those pages which are often requested by the user can be stored in a temporary location. These pages can be retrieved faster and better responses can be sent to the user. So caching can significantly improve the performance of an application.
ASP.Net is a development language used for constructing web-based applications. ASP.Net is designed to work with the standard HTTP protocol.