What is Rational Functional Tester?
Rational Functional Tester (RFT) is an object-oriented automated functional testing tool capable of performing automated functional, regression, GUI, and data-driven testing. RFT supports a wide range of applications and protocols, such as HTML, Java, .NET, Windows, Eclipse, SAP, Siebel, Flex, Silverlight, Visual Basic, Dojo, GET and PowerBuilder applications.
What it does
Rational Functional Tester creates automated functional tests by recording the actions of a user on the system under test and replaying the actions on demand to execute a test. The recorded actions are stored in RFT as a simple program known as a script. RFT scripts are displayed as java programs. The tool can test the success or failure of any step with a ‘checkpoint’, which compares the actual result produced by the system under test at the time of execution, with an expected result stored in RFT at the time of recording.
The main benefits of Rational Functional Tester are as follows:
• Reusability: tests can instantly be run with different versions of an application helping reduce time taken during regression testing
• Consistency: in every test that is run from an RFT script the exact same steps will be undergone each time.
• Productivity: automated testing is fast and can be run whenever without any extra resource necessary.
• IBM RFT integrates with source control management tools such as Rational Clear Case and Rational Team Concert integration. Integrating RFT with Rational Clear Case or Rational Team Concert, allows users to manage their RFT functional test assets using any of these source control management tools.
• RFT integrates tightly with Rational Quality Manager. Integrating RFT with Rational Quality Manager by using the adapter allows users to execute test scripts from within Rational Quality Manager.
How many types of script templates are available in RFT?
Following types of script templates are available:
1) Script: Header of the file: Customizes the layout of new script files.
2) Script: Comment for Test Object: Customizes a test object comment line inserted into a script by the recorder.
3) Script: Comment for top level Test Object: Customizes a top-level test object comment line inserted into a script by the recorder.
4) Script: HTML Test Object Name: Customizes the names of HTML test objects in a script.
5) Script: Java Test Object Name: Customizes the names of Java test objects in a script.
6) Script: .Net Test Object Name: In Functional Tester – Java Scripting, customizes the names of .NET test objects in a script.
7) Script: Windows Test Object Name: In Functional Tester – VB.NET Scripting, customizes the names of Windows test objects in a script.
8) VP: Verification Point Default Name: Customizes the names of verification points which RFT generates by default in the Verification Point and Action Wizard.
9) Script Helper: Header of the file: Customizes the layout of a helper class when auto generated.
10) Script Helper: Test Object Method: Customizes the layout of test object methods in the helper class.
11) Script Helper: Verification Point Method: Customizes the layout of verification point methods in the helper class.
12) Script Helper Superclass: Functional Tester – Java Scripting: Customizes the layout of the script helper superclass.
13) Script Helper Base Class: Functional Tester – VB.NET Scripting: Customizes the layout of the script helper base class.
Rational Functional Tester includes the following features:
• Broad skills match – the IBM RFT tool has been designed for users of varying technical abilities to ensure your quality assurance team isn’t tied up with basic testing, and other experts in your business can get involved with and understand the test flow using a visual storyboard format.
• IBM ScriptAssure® – advanced IBM technology learns user interface characteristics and applies them to new software versions saving time spent creating new test scripts.
• Automated scripts – Rational Functional Tester enables your development teams to create keyword associated scripts which allows for easy re-use, improving efficiency.
• Eclipse Java Developer Toolkit editor – makes it easy for your team to code test scripts in Java with Eclipse. It automates code completion and offers advanced debugging options.