HP QuickTest Professional was renamed to HPE Unified Functional Testing. HPE UFT offers testing automation for functional and regression testing for software applications.
Visual Basic Scripting Edition scripting language is used by this tool to register the test processes and operates the various objects and controls in testing the applications.
QTP offers various features like:
- Integration with Mercury Business Process Testing and Mercury Quality Center
- Unique Smart Object Recognition
- Error handling mechanism
- Creation of parameters for objects, checkpoints, and data-driven tables
- Automated documentation
Advantages and Disadvantages of QTP (Quick Test Professional)
Hi everybody, I have put together some of the advantages and disadvantages of Quick Test Professional tool below. As usual, if you feel anything needs to be added kindly leave a comment. Thanks.
- It is easy even for a non-programmer to understand QTP and start adding test cases.
- Support for record and playback and ability to edit scripts after recording. Also different recording modes are provided in QTP viz. Normal, Analog & Low level.
- Excellent Object Identification process / mechanism
- Support for different addins like Java, Oracle, SAP, .NET, Web Forms, Siebel, PeopleSoft, Web services, Main frame (Terminal Emulator) etc.
- Ability to let you enhance the existing tests even without the AUT (Application under test) through active screen.
- Supports all popular Automation frameworks - Keyword driven testing approach, Data driven testing approach, Modular testing approach, Hybrid frameworks etc.
- QTP comes with an inbuilt IDE, which is simple and easy to use.
- QTP uses VBScript which is English-like and very easy to learn and gain expertise. We have plenty of resource available to learn VBScripts.
- Microsoft Object model can be implanted in QTP easily (Example – Word document object, Excel Object, Outlook Object, ADO objects, File system objects, DOM etc)
- QTP can be integrated with Test management tools like QC (Quality Center), Test director and also functional test tools like Winrunner. The test cases can be mapped to the automation scripts and be executed from QC (Quality Center) itself. Also, it can kick off Winrunner test execution from within.
- Easy to maintain different types of suites viz. Smoke, Sanity, Regression etc.
- It comes with loads of inbuilt properties and methods in QTP as well as inbuilt functions in VBScripts
- Support for XML.
- Use of Datatables/Excel files are easier and provides a variety of methods to play around with rows and columns.
- Easy to maintain test iterations and data driving the tests through configurations.
- Test reporting with all necessary details for analysis is provided.
- Cost is high – License and maintenance.
- Cannot run multiple threads/instances – For example the Grid support available in Selenium, where we can run multiple instances of the application on different browsers at the same time.
- Slow in execution when compared to even open source tools like Selenium.
- You get support from HP only when you renew the license.
- You need to buy different addins – Java, Oracle, SAP, .Net, Seibel, Peoplesoft etc.
QTP Software Testing Tool – What is it???
QTP software testing tool, or quick test professional, is an automation software testing tool originally designed by Mercury Interactive and now owned by the HP (Hewlett Packard). It has gone through a few names since its creation. Astra Quick Test was its original name before becoming QTP, and now the latest name is UFT (Unified Functional Tester).
While the names may change over time, the general purpose of this great tool stays the same. This functional testing tool helps testers perform automated tests once script development is finished.
This type of testing does not require monitoring which makes it a seamless process. If there are any errors, defects, or gaps in the application they will be found during this test; the actual results are compared to the expected results in an execution report.
QTP is considered one of the finer tools when it comes to software testing as it relies on automation to perform regression test and functional tests of an application. Since it belongs in Automation testing, this is one of the more simpler tools to use; any tester (technical or non-technical) can learn how to use QTP.
VBScript is used to automate the applications, so the scripting engine does not need to be installed as it is already integrated into the Windows operating system.